Tiffany's PR's

Tiffany's PR's
~1M: 07:43
~5K: 00:28:51
~10K 01:03:56
~Half: 02:28:04
~Marathon: 04:59:11

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Catamount Trail

After spending some time looking at trails in the Colorado area, I came across Catamount Trail.  The trail is located in the little town of Green mountain Falls, CO.  Pass. The trail took me 3 1/2 hours to complete the 6 mile round trip only stopping for picture and a snack stop. Elevation gain of 1,700 ft the highest point being 9,200ft at Catamount Reservoir.

The trail was rebuilt in 1997 and rated "moderate".   To get to the trail head you will need to park on Hondo road and hike about 3/4th of a mile to get to the trail head.








The trail head starts out a bit rocky with a few tight switchbacks and scales up the side wall of Slot Canyon.
The first mile up the side wall was a little bit of a work out.  If you can scale up the Incline then this would be just fine for you, but the steps are a little steeper.

You can see Ute Pass just thru the trees right before you get to the top.  Which will slope downwards toward the Garden of Eden. 
There is a little stream that you will pass by just before the Garden of Eden.  I saw little fish swimming down stream. 


Since it is still very early spring, the meadow was not in blum, I would like to go back and see it in full blum.  The meadow is sourded heavy rock walls of granite boulders.  It was windy, but down in the medow the rock walls kept the wind out.


Rock walls in the Garden of Eden
 After you pass thru the Garden of Eden you will find yourself passing thru some large boulders along the stream.
You will approach a dirt path, you will want to take the trail that leads slightly down wards then up to the Catamount Reservoir.
The reservoir was still slightly frozen over but the views were still stunning. You are looking at the back side of Pikes Peak. If you look very carefully you are able to see the house on top of Barr Trail



I run in the snow, rain, wind and heat. I run until I cannot run anymore then I run some more. I run thru the blur of tears, the aches and pains and then I keep going. I have more running clothes than some running stores, I know Fartklet does not mean like it sounds. I go to bed at 9pm; I get up early just to do it all over again. Why do I do this? Because I am a runner and that's who I am"

1 comment: