Tiffany's PR's

Tiffany's PR's
~1M: 07:43
~5K: 00:28:51
~10K 01:03:56
~Half: 02:28:04
~Marathon: 04:59:11

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Is Hashing for you?



I read an article somewhere online about this thing called "Hashing". No folks, this has nothing to do with the 420 version of hash. Hashing is a running activity.

Hashing has been around since the late 1930's, where it originated in Malaysia. Essentially, the “hare” is given a timed head start to lay the trail using chalk, flour or paper. The “harriers” peruse after the hare following his/her markings thru streets, alleyways, grasses, streams, climbing fences or even exploring storm drains. Reaching the end if the trail is its own reward…for the thirsty harries they would find ice cold beers or soda for those now day health-conscious hashers.


After reading the article I thought to myself this sounds interesting. However the idea of tromping thru storm drains, mud or even climbing things sounded a little out of my comfort zone. I am not the most graceful person, and tend to be slightly accident prone and I really don't need another trip to the operating table. I filed the article away in my memory bank for later.

A friend of mine recently asked me if I would attend a local “hash” to see what it is all about. I thought about it and recalled the article that I had read some months back. Ultimately I decided I would give it a try, after all I love to run!

I was told to bring a head lamp and not to wear new shoes. There was a bit of a chill in the air so I decided to wear pants instead of my normal carpi's, boy was I glad I decided to so that. I arrived at the “hash house” 15 minutes early, but there were no runners in sight. I decided to hang out in the car for a bit and mull over my decision to do this. Finally I pulled together my courage and got out of the car and made my way inside.


Opening the door, I spotted my friend and the other runners. I was introduced to the group and each person gave me there “hash name". Since I have never done hashing I do not have a hash name and was introduced as “Just Tiffany”. You are not usually given a "hash" name until you have completed a number of hash runs.  Everyone was so friendly and welcoming.


After getting the breakdown of how the hash works and educated on the chalk signals. We were off to follow the hare’s trail. We searched out followed clumps of flour and chalk marking thru sidewalks, parking lots, grassy areas, dirt trails, dried up creeks, under storm bridges, over and under fences, and thru trees. Sounds like a trip to grandma’s house. Finally we found our way back to the “hash house”.

I thought that I was done and now we would just hang out. Oh boy was I mistaken! The group sat around talked about the rout, sang songs, drank some beer, and made jabs at the “newbie” aka me. The group has a rather interesting process of welcoming someone in to the gang. They asked me questions about myself and tried to gather some information about me. At this point I really started to wonder what had I gotten myself into!


After what seemed like an eternity of harassing, I was able nudge my way back to the edge of the circle and relax. After all was said and done I was able to sit and talk with everyone and get to know people.

So, is hashing for me? Sure, after I got the hang of what I was looking for on the trail, I started to like running like a crazy person, in search of the little clump of white flour. I felt like a child chasing down the ice cream truck on a hot summer day. The hunt and the rush of adrenaline that you get when you realise that you are on-trail made me remember why I love Colorado and why I LOVE TO RUN!


“ON-ON” fellow hashers!

List of hashing terms:
http://7h4hash.com/hashingdictionary.htm



I run in the snow, rain, wind and heat. I run until I cannot run anymore then I run some more. I run thru the blur of tears, the aches and pains and then I keep going. I have more running clothes than some running stores, I know Fartklet does not mean like it sounds. I go to bed at 9pm; I get up early just to do it all over again. Why do I do this? Because I am a runner and that's who I am"

1 comment:

  1. Wow... never heard of this before. Thanks for the education! look forward to hearing more about it :-)

    ReplyDelete